Knee Replacement is the best solution for people who are fed up of trying all other alternative treatments to get rid from knee pain. Before undergoing knee replacement surgery, you need to prepare for the surgery.
Knee joint is the most important joint in the body. It plays an important role in bearing body weight. As these joints get damaged due to aging, it is beneficial to replace these joints to overcome the following conditions
- Severe knee pain
- Knee stiffness
- Problem in bending knee
- Pain that disturbs sleep
Knee Replacement surgery can be done in two ways. Total knee replacement surgery and partial knee replacement surgery.
1. Mental or emotional preparation: Mental and emotional preparation is necessary to reduce distractions. Try to get clear idea about all the aspects of surgery. Discuss with doctor about surgery and create a positive attitude towards towards it.
2. Lifestyle preparation: Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol for at least 48 hours before surgery. Eat properly and take enough rest. Obesity, smoking, alcohol consumption can increase the complexity of the surgery. To get quick recovery, patients should try to reduce their weight.
3. Communication: Develop a healthy relationship with your surgeon. Try to learn about your surgery and discuss about your anesthesia.
4. Physical Preparation: Doctor or therapist will prescribe some exercises, which help in improving flexibility and strength of knee.
5. Assemble all your personal and medical information: Collect all your medical information and hand over it to your doctor . This should include your present medical conditions like diabetes, asthma, anemia, previous medical records of operations undergone, list of medications taken regularly etc .
6. Plan for your recovery: You may be advised to use crutches or walker for several weeks after the surgery. Make necessary arrangements for helping you in managing everyday tasks like cooking, bathing, laundry etc.
To make your home safer for recovery do the following.
- Change your living space to ground floor, as climbing stairs will be difficult for some days after surgery.
- Install secure handrails in your shower or bath area.
- Try bench or chair for your shower.
Soon after surgery you will be moved to the recovery ward for 2 to 3 hours after that to the hospital room for a couple of days. You will be asked to move your foot and ankle to increase the blood flow to your muscle and to protect the knee from swelling and clotting. Physical therapist will recommend new exercises to get a good recovery. This physical activities include
- Gradual walking program
- Resuming slowly to household activities
- Knee strengthening exercises etc.
Center for joint replacement and advanced orthopedics offers the best treatment for all your orthopedic problems. Dr. S.V Santpure is one of the best orthopedic surgeon in Aurangabad, Maharashtra providing quality services at an affordable cost.
Visit Us: http://orthopedicsindia.com/
E-mail Us: firstname.lastname@example.org